Aviyal is a south Indian vegetable dish mostly popular in kerala. It goes well for a vegetarian lunch with rice. It is a delicious dish made with many vegetables, coconut and curd.
One of the best combinations for vegetarian lunch would be white rice with rasam and aviyal. I could eat a whole bowl of it all by myself. One of my favourite dishes it is.
For 2 persons,
A bowl of mixed vegetables cut into long thick strips : Brinjal, Carrot, Beans,drumstick,raw banana, yam, potatoes
You can actually add any vegetables you like but Brinjal is mandatory for flavor.
2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 red chilli
1/2 onion chopped
4 tbsp grated coconut
4 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 cup water
1. In a deep vessel or pan, add oil and crackle mustard seeds. Add in a red chilli, onion and curry leaves. Sauté for 1 minute.
2. Add in all the vegetables, 1tsp salt. Mix them together. Add 1/4 cup water and close the lid. Allow the vegetables to get cooked for 5 minutes on low flame.
3. In the meantime, blend together all the blender ingredients to form a paste.
4. Open the vessel and if any water is left, allow it to evaporate. Check if the vegetables are well cooked.
5. Add in the blended paste and sauté for 2 minutes on low flame. Next add in a tbsp of curd and mix well.
6. Switch off the flame and For a tangy taste, squeeze 1/2 a lemon over it and mix. Alternatively tamarind pulp can also be added.
7. Tasty aviyal is ready to be served.