Ghee Rice is a famous authentic Indian rice recipe. It is best accompanied with chicken or mutton gravies. Practically it’s just rice with ghee seasoning. But the taste and flavor of ghee rice is unbeatable. Simple, yet rich in taste, this is sure to impress your guests.
Generally ghee rice is made using basmati rice. I prefer using jeera rice for preparing ghee rice. Basmati rice needs to be soaked for half an hour while jeera rice needs only 10 to 15 minutes of soaking.
For 2 persons,
1 cup jeera rice (or basmati rice)
3 tbsp ghee
4 or 5 cashews
1/2 onion chopped
Cinnamon, cardommom and cloves
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 green chilli
1. Wash and soak the rice.
2. In a vessel, heat 2 to 3 tbsp ghee. Fry 1/4 chopped onion and cashew and set aside for garnish . In the remaining ghee, add in whole spices, green chilli, ginger garlic paste and chopped onions.
3. Sauté for a minute.
4. Add in 2 cups of water and 1 tsp salt. Check if the water is a little salty.
5. On high flame, when the water boils, add in the drained rice and stir.
6. Close the lid and keep on simmer.
7. After 10 minutes, open the lid. The rice would be cooked. Drizzle a tbsp of ghee over the rice and stir.
8. Ghee rice is ready to be served. Garnish with fried onions and cashews.
* Do not cook the rice for more than 10 minutes, else it will burn at the bottom.