Shrimp/ prawn happens to be my all time favorite. As an appetizer or even a snack, I love their unique taste. My mom used to make shrimp fries and shrimp biryani. I stayed away from them as I didn’t know how to clean them. Later when I learnt, the only thing I knew to make with them was fry them. But they turned rubbery all the time. Only later did I realize how to fry them properly and that there are so many ways you can cook them. Here are some of the basic recipes which anyone can do without any help.
1. Shrimp Fry
If you want to make the softest shrimp fries, please just don’t drop them in hot oil. When you do so, they take longer to cook and become hard. Instead lightly cook them before frying, like so.
Prawns needed – 10-15 medium sized
* Marinate cleaned prawns in a mixture of
- 2 tsp Chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Drops of lemon juice
*Marinate for at least half an hour
* In a flat bottomed frying pan, add 1/4 cup of water and add the prawns.
* At low heat, allow the prawns to get half cooked, around 4 minutes.(Don’t worry that the spices will get diluted. They will stick back to the prawns)
* Evaporate the excess water by keeping high flame.
* Once all the water is gone, add in 2-3 tsp oil in the same pan.
* Shallow fry the prawns till golden color on both sides.
Perfect soft and delicious prawns ready!
2. Prawn 65 (Crispy Prawn Fry)
This is also one of my favorite recipes. I like to have it as a side dish for veg pulao or any variety rice. In this dish, the prawn gets cooked inside a crispy layer and hence remains soft.
Prawns needed – 10
* Marinate the prawns just like in the above recipe.
- 2 tbsp maida (flour)
- 1 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
* The paste should stick to the prawns but also drip. If too thick, the layer formed will be thick.
Crispy prawn fries ready!
If your taste buds are bored with the Indian masala flavors and you’d like to try a new flavor, this recipe is a must try. Being a garlic lover, I personally love this one. I think it’s think the perfect appetizer and so so easy to make in 10 minutes flat.