18 Top Tips for parents raising children. These tips are by far the best ever tips I’ve known. Very powerful and effective. Always keep them in your mind if you would like to have a wonderful, well mannered child.
1. Praise your child, even if they get 4/10 in exam, praise your child in front of others.
2. Never make your child feel that he is useless. Never favour one child over the other.
3. Every time we speak with our children speak with respect, say “thank you”, etc. Don’t use slang i.e gimmi instead say ‘please give me’; use clear words, be polite and never swear.
4. You need to bear in mind when your child is young that this is just a child, don’t take away their playing time by treating them like an adult. If we do this, they will rebel in life.
5. We need to assist our children to make decisions. He or she must be taught to make decisions. Acknowledge them, guide them by talking to them, if they want to go for something, the plan for them.
6. Whenever you have decisions to be made ask your child of his or her opinion. For example, if you are going to buy a car, ask their opinion, where they like to eat, or what colour they like for a car, this develops the habit of consultancy in them.
7. Depending on the house we are living in, we would perhaps have a corner; write the name of the child there, as it be their territory. Put their certificates on the wall; this makes them confident of themselves.
8. Teach your child to follow you to read salah. Lead them rather than instructing, it’s a more powerful way. What your child sees you doing they will remember forever. Start instructing them to read prayers at the age of 7, this will help them and make it easy for them to follow when they reach puberty when it becomes compulsory on them.
9. We need to teach our children how to put forward their opinion, how you would disagree to a point. Don’t use swear words when you disagree on anything as this will inculcate in your child as he is watching you being aggressive. Children have much more grasping power than us and they pick up things very fast.
10. Encourage your child to ask questions, and try to answer each question they ask else they will get it from a wrong source. Praise their questions at times.
11. Always fulfil your promises on to you children. Do not make big promises which you cannot fulfil; this makes them develop a habit of making false promises. If you fail to fulfil any promise, explain.
12. Very important to teach our child is how to develop skills of being a member of a group. Team work is very important; this teaches them to give chances to people in life rather always competing.
13. Make dua/prayers for your children. Even if they have gone astray, pray for them.
14. Tell them you might fail once, but never lose hope. Teach them how they should react to a failure.
15. Apologize to your child if you have made a mistake, this teaches your child to repent to Allah. Don’t raise ifs and buts when you are wrong; there are no ifs and buts when it comes to repentance.
16. Have a few surprises for your children, to praise their deed of good, give them recognition at home, that this surprise is for your so and so good you did.
17.We need to make sure that we train our children to read a portion of Quran daily, according to their capacity.
18. Tell your child repeatedly that you love them, tell them how gorgeous they are and how important they are to you, hug them, its a sunnah to kiss your children.