Jeera rice is a north Indian variety rice which is basically white rice flavored with cumin. It has a beautiful aroma and is best paired with dal and ghee roast. It is mild and flavorful.
You can use basmati rice for this recipe but I prefer using jeera rice as it tastes better for this recipe.
For 2 persons,
- 1 cup jeera rice (or basmati)
- 2 cups water
- 2tbsp ghee
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 slit green chilli
- 1/2 tsp salt
1. Soak the rice for 15-30 minutes.
2. In a deep pot, heat ghee and splutter cumin seeds. Add in chopped onions and green chilli. Sauté for a minute.
3. Add in 2 cups of water and salt. Allow to boil.
4. Once the water boils, stir in the soaked and drained rice. Keep on high flame for a minute and then simmer. Close the lid.