Fried rice is a Chinese cuisine which is made by tossing rice with vegetables in a wok. It’s made by people all around the world and is enjoyed by Indians too. The schezwan fried rice is a spicy fried rice made using schezwan sauce.
Fried rice doesn’t always need to be a restaurant food because you can make it easily at the comfort of your home too. It goes well with other chinese foods like chilli chicken, gobi manchurian.
The main rules that you must follow to make perfect fried rice is boiling the rice to Al dente or just cooked and allowing it to cool. I remember the he first the heme I made fried rice, it got all sticky and had a soy sauce tint to it too. It took me a little while the hemel realize the mistake. And oh, please don’t add the soy sauce to the rice instead of vegetables at it may tend to give a brown color to the rice.
Also the rice you use depends on your liking. Some prefer using medium sized grains. I prefer using basmati rice(long grain) as it looks more appealing and tastes good too. You can use a wide range of vegetables like carrots, capsicum, mushroom, cabbage, green peas. I also like adding scrambled eggs.
So let me share with you the fried rice recipe along with the schezwan fried rice version.
For 2 persons,
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- Spring onion, chopped
- 1/2 Capsicum, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 french beans, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cabbage
- 1 egg (optional)
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp vinegar (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Pepper powder
1. Soak the basmati rice for 30 minutes.
2. Chop all the vegetables finely so that they get easily cooked.
3. Bring a pot of salt water to boil and cook the soaked rice for 10 minutes on medium flame till they are just cooked. Do not exceed 10 minutes for basmati. Immediately drain the rice in a colander and allow to COOL. This step is very important. I prefer cooling them by spreading on a plate for faster cooling.
4. In a non stick pan or wok, heat 2 tbsp oil and add chopped garlic and onions.
5. Once the garlic is fragrant, add in all the chopped vegetables. Add salt and pepper and stir/toss them on high flame. Do not close lid. Keep tossing on high flame till cooked but crunchy.
6. Add in 2 tsp soy sauce and vinegar and stir. Check for salt. Add in the scrambled eggs.
7. Now add in the cooled cooked rice and toss it on high flame. Do so for 4-5 minutes.
8. Add in the remaining chopped spring onions and serve hot.
Yummy Fried Rice ready!
Schezwan Fried Rice
For schezwan fried rice, add the schezwan sauce instead of soy sauce in step 6 above.
For full recipe – Schezwan Fried Rice
1. Do not over cook the rice. It should be a little stiff.
2. Cool and fluff the rice before adding it to the vegetables.
3. Do not add soy sauce on the rice as it may stain the rice.
4. Do not add water while cooking the vegetables.