Tapioca or kappa is a root which is similar to a sweet potato and is brown in color. They are used in bubble teas and puddings in the west. In India, it is commonly used in the south especially in kerala where it is made as a wonderful delicacy alongside fish curry.
To learn how to clean and cut tapioca, click here- All About Tapiocas
Kappa(in kerala) is a healthy root and can be added to our weekly or monthly lunch menu. There are 2 ways as to how they are consumed.
1. As a Snack
Cook the tapioca pieces in a pot or pressure cook for 4 – 5 whistles till they turn a little soft but do not lose their shape.
Drain the excess water.
Transfer the tapioca to a plate.
In a pan, prepare a seasoning of oil, mustard seeds and curry leaves.
Drizzle the seasoning over the tapioca and enjoy it with your evening tea.
2. Tapioca Curry
This is a south Indian recipe made as a side dish for rice and fish curry. It is definitely a melt in the mouth dish and is sure to get you addicted to tapioca.
- 1 Tapioca root
- 1/2 cup fresh grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Seasoning – oil, 1 tsp mustard seeds, curry leaves
1. Cook the tapioca pieces in the pressure cooker for 4-5 whistles till they turn soft.
2. Drain the excess water using a colander. In a blender, add coconut, cumin seeds, garlic, chilli powder and turmeric powder. Grind to a fine paste.
3. In the same vessel, mash the tapioca using a masher or a fork.
4. Add in the grinder paste and little water. Switch on the flame and allow to boil for 3 minutes.
5. In another pan, prepare a seasoning of oil, mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add the seasoning to the curry and mix.