Pepper mutton is mostly made as a dry side dish. I prefer making it as a roast for chapatis and rice. So instead of cooking mutton separately, I prefer cooking it with the masalas to get a thick gravy/roast texture as well as the taste incorporates in the meat better when cooked in the masala. This dish is delicious and can be had as a side dish for aapam, parathas and rice.
For 2 persons,
- 1/2 kg mutton pieces
- Oil – 2tbsp
- 2 onions chopped
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 green chilli slit
- Curry leaves
- 1 tbsp Garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp fennel powder (or fennel seeds)
- 2 tsp pepper powder (or whole pepper)
1. If you are using whole pepper and fennel seeds, roast them lightly and powder them in a blender.
* Use whole pepper and fennel seeds to get better flavor.