Gulabjamun is a famous Indian dessert made from milk derivatives. It is a deep fried milk dessert softened in sugar syrup. It is a melt in the mouth dessert with perfect balance between sweetness and softness. It is a commonly made Indian dessert in all households. With the upcoming of packaged gulabjamun
doughs, many prefer buying them as all you have to do is fry them and toss them into sugar syrup.
For long, even I have been buying the packaged ones but still not satisfied with the taste. It didn’t have the authentic taste of a gulabjamun. So when I found this recipe of making gulabjamun from scratch, I couldn’t wait to try it. And the result was oh so good. In fact better than the packaged ones. That put an end to the ready to fry packages in my pantry.
The problem I faced with the store bought gulabjamun dough was that he inner portions of the dough turned out uncooked sometimes. And it felt like eating milk powder. This recipe gives the perfect interior and a beautiful brown exterior.
I’m so glad I found this recipe and it has never failed me once. If you get the ingredient measurements right, you have a perfect dessert in no time. And this recipe takes only 30 minutes from start to your mouth. So its a quick make for unexpected guests.
Serving – 10 or 11 gulabjamun
Oil for deep frying
- 1 cup milk powder
- 3 tbsp flour (maida)
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp ghee
- Pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp milk
- 1.5 cup sugar
- 1.5 cup water
- 5 cardomoms crushed
- 1 tsp lemon juice
1. In a bowl, take milk powder, flour, baking soda, pinch of salt and ghee.
5. Prepare a sugar syrup by boiling sugar and water for 10 minutes. Add some cardomoms and saffron. Add in lemon juice. Take it off flame.
* Make sure the balls are smooth. You can use a scoop to make them all of equal size.
* Do not drop the balls in hot syrup as they may fall apart. Wait for the balls and the syrup to cool slightly. The syrup should be a little warm.
* Do not knead the dough too much like chapatu dough. Just get all the ingredients together.