Pulicurry or tamarind curry is a tangy side dish with tamarind juice or raw mango as main ingredient. It is made in South India as an accompaniment for ghee rice or coconut rice. It tastes similar to a pickle. Ita quite easy to make and if you are a tangy food lover like me, you gotta have this on your menu. This recipe is a simple one pot recipe without any sautéing. Just drop in all the ingredients in a cooker and you are done.
For 2 persons,
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1/2 tomato chopped
- 1 brinjal/eggplant chopped
- 1/2 raw mango chopped or tamarind pulp
- 1/2 cucumber chopped(optional)
- 1 tsp sambar powder
- 1 green chilli slit
- For seasoning – 2 tsp oil, 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, 1/4 tsp cumin seeds, curry leaves
1. In a small pressure cooker (2L), add in chopped onions, tomatoes, brinjal, cucumber and raw mango. If you don’t have raw mango, add 1/4 cup tamarind pulp water.
Yummy tangy pulicurry is ready. Serve it as a side dish along with ghee rice or coconut rice.
* Adjust salt and tanginess according to your liking.
* There are many ways to prepare this recipe, this is my easy version.