Chilli chicken is a famous Chinese dish made using a sauce base. It can be made as a dry dish or a gravy type. It is a common side dish for other Chinese dishes like fried rice or noodles. Boneless chicken pieces are mostly used, but I also add bone pieces along with boneless pieces. They taste equally good.
In chilli chicken recipes, the chicken is cooked before adding it to the sauce. You can either fry the chicken or boil it before adding. If you prefer a coating for the chicken pieces in the sauce(restaurant style), then fry it. If you like a softer chicken, just boil it. (I like it this way as I feel adding fried chicken makes the chicken a little soggy)
So in this recipe I’m using the boiling method for the chicken.
If you want to fry, skip the first step. Instead coat the marinated chicken pieces with a mixture of flour and cornflour, and deep fry them. Next follow step 2.
For 2 persons,
- 1/2 kg chicken
- 2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp ginger finely chopped
- 1 onion diced
- 1 capsicum diced
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 3 tsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1/2 cup water
- Spring onions (optional)
1. Marinate the chicken pieces in chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt for half an hour. In a pan, add the chicken pieces with a little water (3 tbsp) and 1 tsp ketchup. Allow it to cook for 5 minutes.
2. In another pan, add oil and onions. Do not let onions lose their color. Add in chopped ginger and capsicum and sauté for a minute.
3. Add in the chicken pieces, soy sauce and ketchup. Mix all together and sauté for 2 minutes.
4. Dissolve cornflour in water and add his slurry to the chicken. Allow the sauce to thicken. Once you have your desired consistency, switch off the flame. Garnish with spring onions.
Yummy chilli chicken is ready to be served. Serve it with fried rice, paratha or chinese noodles.